Sunday, November 19, 2006

Back In The Day...



I think it was February 2002 I saw Jimmie Johnson when I lived in Daytona Beach, I had just moved there a few months previous and thought this was a common occurence, I suppose, perhaps not, it's my only defense. Lowe's had him set up outside their Ormond Beach (little town at the north end of Daytona) store on Grenada Blvd. with his race car. I was with my new boyfriend's mom, so I couldn't check Jimmie out without her seeing me and OMG I AM I EVER KICKING MYSELF NOW!!! What a colossal dumbass I can be. Jimmie was self consciously standing around in his driving gear, with a few people walking up asking him questions. I was more interested in the car if you can believe that, it was the first up close encounter I had with a NASCAR vehicle, so I was smitten though I didn't break stride on our way to the store. What stands out to this day is that it had pink lug nuts. Geeeeehawd I am such a doofus.

Yeah, I'm friggen loony, great cars have always turned my head, since I was a wee tot. Gorgeous men have always done the same, and Jimmie is one of the rare one's I would call wildly handsome, I'd have taken him AND his car! Hindsight being what it is, I'd have scooped the then-single Mr. Johnson up and carried him to my lair, boyfriend, boyfriend's mom or no. Brian (the 'then' boyfriend, now ex) was always terrified I was going to run off with Dale Jr.

anyway, I might just as well have added Jimmie to my harem. I could have collected NASCAR drivers for a hobby...and I just love that picture of Tony with his crooked smile, cracks me up. He's a cutie, but doesn't he own monkeys or something?

No comments: