Sunday, November 12, 2006

She Made Me Do This!

Clance did it, she really, really did. I never thought I'd have a blog, I mean, I've had a myspace account since January and only accessed it maybe 6 times because I kept forgetting my password and I could never keep a diary anyway because I'm just too damn lazy. Forgetful & Lazy=a great condensed bio. Ok, ok, I'm lying. I'm not really lazy, in fact I'm a little hyper if my mind isn't engaged in some fleeting fancy. So, I'm IM'ing with Clance from Church of the Great Oval, and she says, why not start a blog? My impulsive black heart said 'hey...why not?' What's a blog I'm wondering...oh heck, it's what Clance does! Yeah, yeah, I know, this isn't "like Clance's" blog, that girl is TALENTED, jeeeeeze. I'm merely a garden variety paint juggler, not an author, cut me some serious slack, ok??? I'll just be me here, yapping incessantly, privately wondering why you are still here reading the ramblings of a complete stranger. This could prove to be a bizarre little trip so buckle your Hanz device, slap on that helmet and lets hit da track!

Guess I should give you some background on me...I'm single in case any of my favorite NASCAR boys took a wrong turn at the track and ended up here, lost, alone and in need of...well, nevermind. I've always loved racing, as a little kid I had a bagful of matchbox cars I staged races with, on oval tracks or mountain hairpin corners I'd carved out of a dirt bank in the back yard. I watched NASCAR on tv just to see the cars go fast, the concept of tire and fuel strategy was far beyond me, I just liked fast cars. Then I discovered boys, so I perfected my love of fast cars to include fast men much to the dismay of my parents.

Over the years I went to drag races, dirt track races, hydroplane races and the like, the sound of the engines made my heart race and my adrenaline surge in a way Ted Bundy could only dream of. Somehow I landed for a brief time in Bakersfield, California. It was there in Feb. 2001 that I was watching the afternoon news when the reports of Dale Earnhardt's death at Daytona International Speedway was announced. I remember exactly where I was sitting, the way the news made my skin prickle and how really sad I was even though I had not been keeping up with anything NASCAR for years. I remember seeing Kevin Harvick for the first time, he was being interviewed about his thoughts on the passing of D.E. and this is when I discovered Bakersfield was home to Harvick. Little did I know that within 9 months I would be living in the same city #3 had raced his last lap, and a few years later dating a man who met Dale Earnhardt on that last day of his life.

There are a lot of parallels that keep dragging me back to NASCAR, it's like it's fate or sumpthin'...

7 comments:

Clance' McClannahan said...

You are right Dear. It is fate!!
Way to go!! Share those stories!!

Clance' McClannahan said...

Jimmy ain't goona win you know...I post a kewpie doll pic of him for you tho. Ain't I nice?
Read the post I did last night and go to Church.wkt

Clance' McClannahan said...

oops ignot the wkt thing. I meant go to CHURCH. Behind the locked doors.
Speak only Typoneese.

RevJim said...

No doubt you're hooked on racing. I grew up much the same way, except we didn't have that much racing on TV until the late seventies.

Loralai said...

Um...Clance sweetie...Jimmie HAS to win! He's too cute to lose! Kewpie doll pic?? I need to go see what you've been up to, why am I suspicous???

Loralai said...

Yep revjim, I am hooked on racing, I really do love it. I saw where Jr. said the viewership for NASCAR hadn't grown as expected recently, he thought it was because of the long season and long races. An Earnhardt with words like these? What's the world coming to anyway? I go into withdrawls after the Homestead race and am in deep mourning until February.

Clance' McClannahan said...

So do you have this blog thing straightened out ot not...Where the heck are ya?????