Friday, December 8, 2006

Wow 2 Entries Today

Must be your lucky day. I wasn't going to, I could have added on to my first but stewartfan left a comment on yesterday's post that I wanted to address. It spins off from my chagrin about Jr. saying he thought new NASCAR fans weren't bombarding the sport in hordes because the races and seasons are too long. I disagreed.

I gotta plan. NASCAR, the France's et al, should love it, in fact I'm sure they've already thought of this. They are proposing new tracks in various places, Seattle, Portland, OR., etc. As it is now, they usually race each track in the circuit twice a year. I kind of like that scenario, everyone has their favorite and least favorite track where they do better and worse. This way a driver can redeem himself if he has a mishap or needs points he knows he can regain some at his favorite track. Least fav tracks are good to help them hone up on their skills for whatever it is that is holding them back at those tracks. Now, on to the dessert...

I think once there are more tracks, or racers, or both, they should have east coast/west coast franchises or something (like pro football has where teams play against their leagues), then at some point, the best racers merge into racing eachother. The race for the cup is already somewhat like that, but why not give more people a chance to race, more tracks to race on and more fan events to go to? This would make NASCAR affiliates a load more cash, which is what it's all about to those guys anyway, and it would create more rivalry, spirit and excitement for the fans.

Quite honestly there are enough tracks out there, the one in Daytona sits unused the majority of the year, though I would like to see them more regional, the closest track to where I am right now is probably Las Vegas or Corona, both are 1250 miles away. These tracks make the cities and states lots of tax money, fans are great revenue generators. Ok, I'm undecided on the tracks, it's not something I've been terribly concerned with, but the Red Team/Blue Team concept is something I'd like to see given a whirl.

Pro's and con's are encouraged on this topic. stewartfan made a good point about driver fatigue with the long season, and that is true, though if you are realistic about it, they are getting a 2 month vacation every year, make stupid money for what they do, and are very fortunate that the sport today has accorded them the wealth they have. I believe NASCAR has promoted the sport and drivers to the best of their ability in the past several years, a win-win situation for both, as driver recognition has catapulted them into stardom, and with that comes licensing, sponsor and product promotion dollars. More visibility and recognition equals more fans, race ticket sales, NASCAR sanctioned memorabilia, etc. I'm not sure exactly how many hours per week they work, I know some carry a pretty heavy workload, especially the more popular drivers, but compare what you do, how much you make and how much vacation time you get per year and I think you'll see they have it pretty good. Yeah, maybe pro football, baseball and basketball luminaries have more time off, if Jeff Gordon wants to play football, go for it, let someone else who has the fever drive the 24. Ya know what I'm sayin?

3 comments:

theStewartFan said...

Just going to play devil's advocate on this one more time:...

I'll bet Greg Biffle wasn't thinking how great his vacation was going as he was sitting in a burning race car that just hit the wall at mach OMG the other day at 'vegas. And Kyle Bush (also on vacation) didn't get the chance to approach a car on fire and possibly exploding to pull a friend out with his frequent flyer miles.

Written with love. Merry Christmas!

TalkGeorge said...

I respectfully disagree about creating an east and west series and also about the season's length...it's too long and the races are too long. I doubt Nascar (greedy) will reduce the number of races, but I'm betting that in general races will become shorter over the next 5 years. I like your blogging, vroom!

Loralai said...

Nice points thestewartfan...hey, how come sometimes it reads "stewartfan" and others "thestewartfan"? I edited your name in my reply to your comment somewhere and now I see I was right the first time!

ANYway...you can use that analogy, yessir, indeed you may, however the same thing might be said of any soldier in Iraq, just substitute the burning race car with a burning Humvee hit by enemy fire. Ultimately, they don't have to be doing what they are doing, they know the risks and the time involved if they want to be at the top of their sport.

Rescuing anyone from danger, and putting your own skin in peril while doing so is what heroes are made of, it separates the men from the boys and gains my utmost respect. Some jobs are more hazardous than others, I read a while back that one of the most dangerous jobs there is is that of garbage man. Go figure. :)

Hey, I love a good debate "the" stewartfan, I'm glad you responded, I hoped you would. Merry Christmas to you my friend!

gvav1, why do you think the races and season are too long? Is it a personal issue or is it compassion for racers or something else? It's one of the few sports I never tire of, even with the 'long' season and races. It would be a huge disappointment to me if they shortened things up, but then I must be a greedy girl. :)

Glad you like my blogging, feel free to post your blogspot in my comment section of you like, both of you! Thanks for posting!