Thursday, December 14, 2006

Wow...Is It....Could It Be?

A record? I have remembered I have a blog, and further more, to post here for over a week now. Is anyone awarding a medal or anything for that?

Yesterday it was over 50F with lotsa wind blowing, but so niiiiice and I was too damn busy to enjoy it, the weatherman said more of the same today so I didn't sweat it, figured I'd get out in the shop and shoot some paint. Now, why, I ask you, would I believe anything those dirty, low-down weatherfolk have to say? They are easily wrong at least 50% if the time yet I blindly trust them like a lovesick schoolgirl with her first crush. Curses! How can I remain so steadfastly naive? Today, it doesn't get above 35F, it's an overcast, ugly, grey, gloomy day, ideal for a mass cult suicide. Just before it got dark the snow began, and the streets had just finally cleared of their compact ice thanks to yesterday's chinook. Now we begin this all over again, except the last time I was outside there was freezing rain tossed into the mix. The weatherdevils never said anything about freezing rain, must have been their little inside joke.

Though my Prelude has front wheel drive, it has frilly new Florida tires on it which get squeamish and don't behave when their dainty treads deign to touch anything with a surface temperature below 80F. I'm too stubborn to purchase winter tires, so it should prove to be an entertaining winter.

I went into deep mourning yesterday when I had to change my license plate from the sunny single Florida tag to the mandatory front/back Washington plates, but it had to be done unless I wanted to spend another month hoofing it in subzero weather wherever I went. My first experience with the season's snow, I back up, turn the car around and gun it a little to see how slick the large unplowed parking area was, nearly sliding into a friend's wife's new quad cab pickup. His wife always gives me the squint eye and refuses to speak to me, no matter how friendly I am to her, so I had a quick daydream of sideswiping her purty new Dodge and the look on her face when she saw it. That was fun, put me in a better mood, and I was off to see what sort of mischief I could get into down town. None, I'm afraid. News of my presence behind the wheel superseded my arrival apparently, and the streets were empty of man and beast. If you've never driven in fresh snow, the one really nice thing is, your car is practically in stealth mode, it is so quiet and smooth you could sneak up on a seismograph.

Where in the hell was I going with all this? I'm tired, got 2 hours of sleep last night, woke up at 4am...

OH, I know, though uninteresting and anticlimactic, I will clue you in. Tonight we are expecting 60mph winds and snow. Quite possible that power will be out. HAH! Now...do I once again put my trust in the fickle and questionable words of the oft inaccurate weatherimps? I am too tired to care at this point, but I am expecting exciting weather in approximately half an hour but with any luck I will sleep through it and I can pretend that the weatherdevils were right for once.

No comments: